Last Roll Of 35mm Film

Posted March 25th, 2011 in Memories of Horst and tagged , , by neil

After my dad passed away, my mother gave me his old camera. I believe that she knew it would be in good hands with me, and that I’d cherish it forever. It is a Yashica Lynx-1000, and he bought it sometime in the early 1960s. This camera was used constantly and captured many family memories, and much of the old photos that I’ve been posting on this site.

When she gave it to me, I took a look at it and pressed the small button on the bottom that is used to rewind the film when the roll is done. It made that familiar click that I recognized to mean that it had a roll of film in it. After that I spun the rewind crank until I knew the film was in the canister, popped the back of the camera open, and sure enough… there was a roll of Kodak Gold 200 35mm film.

Immediately I wondered how long it had been in the camera. My mom speculated that it was likely back in Massachusetts, just before they moved back to California. He was taking photos around the house and in the yard for some reason.

I was excited to know that there were images on this film that he took, and it was a bit of a mystery as to what they were. However, for some reason, I held on to the roll for several months before I sent it off to be processed. Don’t know why that is. I used an online service to process the film, and also to create digital images that I could download. In mid December 2010, I got the email notifying me that they were ready.

The images were taken more recently than originally thought. There are shots of their home in California, and also from a trip to Seattle to visit my brother and his family… most likely sometime in 2007. The dogs in the shot are my brother’s Australian Sheperds, and they are walking around a lake near his home… which my dad enjoyed to do when visiting.

Since the film was in the camera for so long, the color is off from being expired… and there seems to be some light leaking into the camera too. None-the-less, it’s still fun to see what was on that film this whole time.

Edit: My mom tells me that the last 3 photos are from San Francisco, where they stopped on the way home from Seattle.

9 Responses so far.

1. Suzie Rose says:

Definitely a fun find, Neil…to finally see what was on the film! I know, too, you will cherish this camera
    for a very long time!
    Be well…

xo
    Suzie

2. stephanie s. says:

This was definitely worth the wait, all I can say is “Priceless”. 🙂

3. sula 113 says:

Wonderful find and a lovely memory!! Thank you for sharing.

4. This reminds me of when I inherited my mother’s camera. My son, Jeff now has the camera. I know you are happy and proud of him.

June

5. David Lev says:

Call from the past, when all seemed rosy…. nice addition to remembering Horst.

If I’m not mistaken, soon it will be a year since your dear father and our great Flickr friend passed away. He is remembered!!

6. JAN KENCH says:

Fascinating to see that he was catching the skies even then on a few shots. Can’t believe it is nearly a year since he left us. Will always miss him.

7. Neil says:

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. So glad that there are many friends following what I post here.

My mom tells me that the last 3 photos are from San Francisco, where they stopped on the way home from Seattle on that trip.

8. What a lovely collection of photos. In these photos I see a hint of where he would eventually go with his photography!!! He alway did love that sky!!! So glad you posted this!!

9. Kiki says:

Dear Neil; what a priceless and wonderful find…. I wanted to write to you and to your mum for some time as I was so tempted hearing and reading about the book FOCUS LOVE ETC…. I bought it but had to wait until I visited UK to get it from my friends’ address – every time I open it I think with gratitude of Horst and I send a prayer to the family!
    Great memories, truly time- and priceless; thank you for sharing them with us.
    Hugs to all of you, Kiki